November 2, 2012

Week fifteen-"When is it going to be our turn?"

This week was eye opening.  I realized the importance of writing good reports so I do not have to go to court.  We had a day of mock trial in the courtroom and that is a place if I never had to go in my career I would be okay with.  Two of the recruits somewhat got volun’told’ by the rest of the class to testify in court on a mock DUI case.  They both did an incredible job as it was the first time they have ever even been in a courtroom. They were on the stand with 12 of their recruits in the jury box and a courtroom full of classmates.  That was a valuable experience.


From there we had our wet lab with intoxicated role players in a controlled environment, of course.  All week we learned about SFST (Standardized Field Sobriety Testing) and how to recognize an intoxicated person and learn road side maneuvers.  This was accomplished in three days.  The instruction was incredible so the wet lab was a success.  We felt prepared and confident in our abilities.  Just like everything else we have learned, practicing road sides and keeping sharp is important in our careers. 

We had to test our on a written and practical on Wednesday and Thursday.  We had another late night Thursday night and had to turn around for an early morning on Friday with our regularly scheduled test first thing in the morning, but we expect the unexpected at this point.  The wet lab was also a very valuable experience, as well as being very fun for more than just the recruits.  The role players were very professional and we were very appreciative of their time and willingness to be a part of our learning experience.

  
Directing Traffic.  Yep.  There was something about being in the middle of lanes of traffic full of vehicles and being able to manage turning lanes, intersections, stopping, and pedestrians crossing...that was an adrenaline rush to me.  I have no idea what directing a symphony is like, but after 25 minutes of moving your arms and directing traffic you start to get creative.  I got done with my "shift" and high fived everyone like we had just won a game.  One of our staff members looked at me like I had lost my mind because it was just directing traffic.  Directing traffic beats a desk job any day of the week.  Once I have my first experience directing traffic in 100 degree weather or in the middle of a blizzard I might think differently.  For now, directing traffic in perfect weather is fun.  We even had a disgruntled elderly woman get out of her car and yell, "when is it going to be our turn!"  Now that is something you won't get in the classroom. 

This week we had a potluck.  My observation of the class being mostly single men solidified my decision to not fully participate in the potluck.  Not fully means that I brought five bananas and a year old box of Emergen C from my cupboard.  I'm a team player.  You can tell a lot about a person by what they bring to a potluck. 

We officially have 22 days left.  We officially act like brothers and sisters.  We officially get more ‘you'll be on your own’ talks. 

It's getting more and more real.  We are all getting anxious to get started with our agencies.  My thought has always been to stay in school as long as you can, but I have to admit I am getting anxious to start for my agency and be a part of an even bigger team.

Next week we have more ground fighting, we still have to meet the taser, learn what OC spray can do to us, and the best part of the academy from what I have heard....driving. 

We're ready.